Details for Social Media Editor
Social Media Editor
The Billings Gazette is seeking an editor to help lead social media efforts for Lee Enterprises’ websites in Montana.
This editor is responsible for growing the audience for our journalism on our existing social media accounts, as well as finding new audiences through social media.
The ideal candidate is fluent in established and emerging social platforms, has a background in journalism, and knows how to build a social media community that is involved in our reporting in a meaningful way. He or she will be able to effectively communicate analytics and best practices to our newsrooms.
He or she reports to the digital director and works closely with the digital team; reporters, editors and photographers; as well as sales.
- Lead management of our branded social media accounts, creating a voice for each.
- Work closely with the digital team and newsrooms to distribute our journalism to the right audiences at the right times.
- Coordinate social media coverage of live events.
- Monitor social media to identify viral content for newsrooms.
- Work with newsrooms to create social media content, including Facebook Live, Instagram Stories and more.
- Respond to messages on our social media accounts and engage with followers.
- Develop and lead training for our newsrooms on social media best practices, as well as coaching staff one on one.
- Evaluate new and emerging social platforms and develop strategies as needed.
- Stay on top of social media trends and communicate them in actionable terms to the digital team and newsrooms.
- Regularly analyze social metrics and prepare reports for newsrooms and management.
- A bachelor’s degree and relevant work experience including social media. Editorial/journalism experience preferred.
- Strong writing, editing and communication skills. An attention to detail.
- Active user of social platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit and more.
- Experience with analytics, including Twitter analytics, Facebook Insights and Google Analytics.
- Knowledge of SEO and headline writing.
- Ability to work on tight and often overlapping deadlines.
- Photo and video editing skills are a plus.
The position is based in Billings, Montana’s largest city and a regional shopping center. We’re an hour from great skiing and two and a half hours from Yellowstone National Park. You must be able to travel and work flexible hours.
We offer an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, paid holidays and vacation. We are an equal opportunity employer. You can see our website at www.billingsgazette.com and learn more about our parent company at www.lee.net.
Interested candidates may apply online at www.billingsgazette.com/workhere. Please include your resume, references and current social accounts in your application. If you manage or have managed a brand account, include those accounts or examples of posts from your work there. If you have questions, contact digital director Karen Scherting at email@example.com.