Broken circuit panel prompts evacuation of Transwestern 2

2014-06-17T09:10:00Z 2014-06-17T22:15:04Z Broken circuit panel prompts evacuation of Transwestern 2By CHRIS CIOFFI ccioffi@billingsgazette.com The Billings Gazette

A broken circuit panel on the third floor caused a brief evacuation of the Transwestern 2 building, 490 N 31st St., Tuesday morning in Billings.

"We heard a loud bang and the lights went off," said Lauri Brogan, an employee on the third floor where the panel burst. A burned plastic smell could be detected throughout the floor. 

Several fire engines and a Battalion Chief were called out at about 8:30 a.m. in case a fire needed to be extinguished but they were quickly called off when they were not needed, said Billings Fire Department Captain Bret Tormahlen.

The smoke came from a circuit panel that burst after being exposed to water, he said. 

The water had been dripping from a fourth floor sink that was overflowing, but the building's maintenance crew was quickly able to switch off the power and prevent a fire. 

Copyright 2015 The Billings Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

More from the Gazette

Man shot outside Billings Clinic dies; six officers on leave

Man shot outside Billings Clinic dies; six officers on leave

23 hours ago Photos

Photos

Loading…
Lame Deer man admits child sex abuse

Lame Deer man admits child sex abuse

January 30, 2015 11:44 amLoading…

Mild weather coming to an end; wintry weather ahead

January 30, 2015 6:37 amLoading…
Ethics Board votes to postpone hearings on 3 city officials

Ethics Board votes to postpone hearings on 3 city officials

January 29, 2015 7:45 pm Photos

Photos

Loading…

Hoiness Family Foundation donates $10,000 to YBGR

January 29, 2015 6:00 pmLoading…

Follow The Billings Gazette

Popular Stories

Get weekly ads via e-mail

Deals & Offers

Featured Businesses