Q & A: What do I need to enter a federal building?

2010-12-03T14:00:00Z Q & A: What do I need to enter a federal building?By The Gazette Staff The Billings Gazette
December 03, 2010 2:00 pm  • 

Entering a federal building or places where there are federal services is like going to the airport -- you have to go through security. Visitors are required to show photo identification and wear a badge while in the building. The identification can be any state or federal identification that has an issue and expiration date.

Security is operated by the Department of Homeland Security's Federal Protective Service.

All persons and their belongings, like purses, cell phones and computers, have to go through scanners. To make the process go faster, the FPS recommends that visitors empty their pockets before entering the building and wear shoes that do not contain metal. Prohibited items include medical marijuana and any knife with a blade longer than two and a half inches. Also people with a state-issued permit to carry a concealed weapon may not bring their firearm or ammunition into a federal building. 


Contact Clair Johnson at cjohnson@billingsgazette.com or 657-1282.

Copyright 2014 The Billings Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Billings Gazette

Most Wanted

Most Wanted

Most Wanted

Wanted by United States Marshals Service Montana Violent Offender Task Force

October 06, 2014 12:00 amLoading…

Wanted: Christopher Knight

Wanted: Christopher Knight

Name: Christopher Knight

August 24, 2014 8:46 pmLoading…

Crime Watch Map

Keep tabs on crime around the city. View Map

Billings Police Report

2013 Billings Police Department Annual Report. View Report

Popular Stories

Get weekly ads via e-mail

Deals & Offers

Featured Businesses