Investigation continuing into shooting at South Side home

2014-05-12T03:45:00Z 2014-05-15T12:03:05Z Investigation continuing into shooting at South Side homeBy NICK BALATSOS The Billings Gazette

The investigation into a shooting in a South Side home on Sunday night is continuing, according to a press release from Lt. Jeremy House of the Billings Police Detective Division. 

Police responded at 11:06 p.m. to 3018 Eighth Ave. S., to a report of a man with a gun.

When officers arrived they heard several shots inside the residence, House said in the press release. 

Officers were able to help several people inside the residence crawl out a back window.

They were taken to a safe location.

Two suspects came out the front and were taken into custody.

It was determined that two people inside the residence exchanged gunfire and one suspect received a non-life threatening gunshot wound. The suspect was transported to Billings Clinic. The investigation is ongoing.

At least a dozen Billings police officers responded to a shooting near South Park at 11:30 p.m. on Sunday, where a man in his 20s was shot and transported to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. 

After the shooting, police responded to a home on the 3000 block of 8th Avenue South that had seven people inside, five of whom were residents.

The residents included a male and female in their 20s, a male and female in their 50s and an infant, Sgt. Pat Curry said. 

The other two adults were visiting. One of the adults, a man who Curry said was either 27 or 28, ended up getting shot in the leg.

Police reported hearing one to three shots. A witness reported hearing up to six. 

Police hadn't been able to secure the warrant necessary to search the home, so no guns had been found as of 1:30 a.m. on Monday.

More than 10 police cars, two American Medical Response ambulances and a fire truck responded to the scene.

Four officers crouched behind a car in front of the house with their guns drawn.

A man in a white shirt opened the front door and stepped out onto the steps, struggling to keep his balance.

"Keep your hands where I can see them!" one officer shouted.

The man put his hands up and police approached him, leading him down the stairs and to the corner, where they laid him on the grass, after which an additional ambulance and a firetruck responded to the scene. 

Emergency workers tended to the man and placed him on a stretcher and brought him to a Billings hospital.

The man's leg appeared bloody; so did the steps.

Billings police evacuated the adjacent homes while they investigated. The block was also closed off.  

A family, wrapped in blankets, was seen returning home well after midnight.

Curry said that although they "have a clue" who shot the man, they are still treating everyone as a suspect.

He said they brought the homeowners in for questioning separately so that they could get the facts straight.

Detective Sgt. Shawn Mayo also responded to the scene. Curry said Mayo would be conducting an investigation, after which a press release would be issued. 


Copyright 2014 The Billings Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Billings Gazette

Most Wanted

Most wanted

Most wanted

Wanted by United States Marshals Service Montana Violent Offender Task Force

November 17, 2014 12:00 amLoading…

Most Wanted

Most Wanted

Wanted by United States Marshals Service Montana Violent Offender Task Force

October 06, 2014 12:00 amLoading…

Crime Watch Map

Keep tabs on crime around the city. View Map

Billings Police Report

2013 Billings Police Department Annual Report. View Report

Popular Stories

Get weekly ads via e-mail

Deals & Offers

Featured Businesses