Smoke from cooking class leads to evacuation of West High

2012-10-02T10:20:00Z 2012-10-02T21:37:05Z Smoke from cooking class leads to evacuation of West HighBy ROB ROGERS rrogers@billingsgazette.com The Billings Gazette

Students and staff at West High evacuated the building for about 15 minutes just before 10 a.m. Tuesday after a student's pan of syrup boiled over onto the stovetop in one of the school's cooking labs.

"It created a substantial amount of smoke," said Principal Dave Cobb.

The smoke alarms sounded and the school was evacuated. The Billings Fire Department arrived to make sure the building was safe. There was never any fire, Cobb said.

He called the incident a good fire drill.

"It wasn't planned, but it was good practice," he said.

Copyright 2015 The Billings Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

More from the Gazette

Laurel graduation rate spikes as students get 'intensive care'

Laurel graduation rate spikes as students get 'intensive care'

January 27, 2015 12:00 am Photos

Photos

Loading…

Forums to gather input on SD2 needs

January 14, 2015 8:30 pmLoading…
Billings second-grader eager to head to Disney World

Billings second-grader eager to head to Disney World

January 14, 2015 3:30 pmLoading…
SD2 board chair Halter says he won't seek re-election

SD2 board chair Halter says he won't seek re-election

January 13, 2015 7:15 pm Photos

Photos

Loading…
UPDATE: Afternoon school buses to run normal routes

UPDATE: Afternoon school buses to run normal routes

January 08, 2015 4:42 pmLoading…
As West End grows, so have private, outlying schools

As West End grows, so have private, outlying schools

January 04, 2015 6:00 am Photos

Photos

Loading…

Follow The Billings Gazette

Popular Stories

Get weekly ads via e-mail

Deals & Offers

Featured Businesses