Fire breaks out in home on Gymnast Way

2014-04-19T16:52:00Z 2014-04-19T23:26:03Z Fire breaks out in home on Gymnast WayGazette Staff The Billings Gazette
April 19, 2014 4:52 pm  • 

Sixteen firefighters responded Saturday to a kitchen fire that filled a home on the 3700 block of Gymnast Way with heavy smoke. 

The call for the fire came in at about 4:30 p.m. after the homeowner returned to find her house filled with smoke.

The woman then went over to a neighbor's, who in turn went back to the smoke-filled home and attempted to open the door, slamming it shut once smoke was spotted, said Billings Fire Department Capt. Brian McDermott.

When Billings firefighters arrived, they shattered two of the front windows to provide "positive pressure ventilation," and to locate the fire. 

There were no flames, just heavy smoke, McDermott said. 

They got there in the nick of time, McDermott said. 

Had more oxygen managed to work its way into the home, it could have been much worse, he said. 

Firefighters had the situation under control around 5 p.m.

McDermott said the fire started in the kitchen. It was caused by combustibles left on the stove and is believed to be accidental, according to a press release.

It's estimated that the fire caused $20,000 worth of damages, but both the property and its contents were insured, the release stated.

Gymnast Way was blocked off while firefighters worked to get the situation under control.

Nobody was hurt during the fire. 

Copyright 2014 The Billings Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Billings Gazette

Popular Stories

Get weekly ads via e-mail

Deals & Offers

Featured Businesses