Firefighters rescued the resident of a downtown apartment early Thursday morning after a loveseat caught fire as a result of careless smoking, according to the Billings Fire Department.

The patient suffered moderate burns and smoke inhalation during the fire, which was confined to a single room in the apartment on the 600 block of North 31st Street, according to the press release. The person was transported to the hospital, the release states.

Department officials estimate the fire caused about $20,000 in property damage.

It was extinguished before spreading to any adjacent rooms or apartments, the release states, but burned the end of a loveseat and caused smoke damage throughout the apartment.

Outbrain