A fire that burned the exterior of a home on Custer Avenue was already out when firefighters arrived a few minutes after 8 a.m. on Tuesday.
According to Billings Assistant Fire Marshal Bill Tatum, the daughter of the residents discovered the damage when she was leaving for school and told her mother.
The fire had burned vinyl siding on the side of a duplex at 728 Custer Ave.
Tatum said he believes that the fire began in a small planter at the base of the wall, but what set the blaze is still under investigation.
The damage totaled about $3,000, he said. The property was insured.