Leak forces KULR 8 out of the studio

2014-08-28T13:00:00Z 2014-09-02T09:58:07Z Leak forces KULR 8 out of the studioGazette Staff The Billings Gazette
August 28, 2014 1:00 pm  • 

A chemical leak forced about 25 employees of local television station KULR 8 to evacuate Thursday after a suspicious smell was noticed at the studio at 2045 Overland Ave.

The odor was due to an isolated leak of an antifreeze used in the heating and cooling system inside the building, Billings Fire Department Battalion Chief Terry Larson said.

Employees were evacuated around 12:15 p.m. Members of the fire department entered the building in hazardous materials suits about an hour later.

The evacuation did not affect the station's on-air feed. However, it remains unclear whether the evacuation will interrupt or change the later night broadcasts, station officials said.

"There was a strong smell so we wanted to be safe," said KULR 8 News Director Alan Wagmeister.

KULR 8 is an NBC network affiliate.

Copyright 2015 The Billings Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

More from the Gazette

Cooler weather on the way

4 hours agoLoading…
Man sentenced for choking wife

Man sentenced for choking wife

20 hours agoLoading…

Record-breaking warmth likely to continue

January 27, 2015 6:32 amLoading…

Follow The Billings Gazette

Popular Stories

Get weekly ads via e-mail

Deals & Offers

Featured Businesses