Oscar's Park fire ruled accidental

2014-04-16T10:30:00Z 2014-04-16T16:45:07Z Oscar's Park fire ruled accidentalBy CHRIS CIOFFI ccioffi@billingsgazette.com The Billings Gazette

A fire that burned the roof of the general store building at Oscar's Park on Sunday has been ruled accidental. 

The fire was caused by a smoldering piece of cellulose insulation, said Deputy Fire Marshal Jeff McCullough.

One of the people working on the building was running a piece of PVC pipe and cut several holes with a large, circular drill bit. He was going through some wood and up to the ceiling, which had drywall, McCullough said.

The building was being restored by owner Marcie Limpp and her husband for their daughter and granddaughter.

"He did it for a very long time, and did quite a bit of it," McCullough said. "Smoldering took place for a while, before the fire took off."

By the time crews arrived, there were flames up the front facade of the building, which is on the park property at 3740 Wise Lane.

Fire crews responded to the blaze Sunday at 7:06 p.m., said Battalion Chief Boyd Vopel.

Four engines, one truck and two tender trucks along with the battalion chief were able to knock the fire down in about an hour. Vopel said the big response was due to a lack of fire hydrants in the area.

The general store and several other buildings on the property had been collected from towns all over Montana by Limpp’s father, Oscar Cooke, who died in 1995. The general store was moved to the property in the 1970s from Nibbe, a town near Pompeys Pillar, she said.

The building did not have utility service. A significant number of antiques were in the building at the time of the blaze, but many were spared, McCullough said.

No one was on the property at the time except for one animal, said Marcie Limpp.

A donkey named Crackles, an Easter present to Limpp's granddaughter, was able to get to the back of his corral and was unharmed. 

While Limpp was disappointed that the structure was burned, she said it could have been worse. 

"Thank God it's only one building, and thank God no people or animals were hurt," she said. 

Copyright 2015 The Billings Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

No Comments Posted.

Comment policy

We provide this forum for readers to exchange ideas and opinions on the day's news. Passionate views, pointed criticism and critical thinking are welcome. Name-calling, crude language and abuse are not. You must be logged into a personal account on Facebook to comment (FAQ). Readers are responsible for their comments and abuse of this privilege will not be tolerated. We reserve the right, without warning or notification, to remove comments and block users we determine violate our Terms of Service. Comments reflect the opinions of the author - not those of The Billings Gazette or its parent company.

Add Comment
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

More from the Gazette

Registration open for Senior Sports, Arts Fest

April 25, 2015 2:32 pm(0)
Feature photos: Great American Cleanup

Feature photos: Great American Cleanup

April 25, 2015 10:32 am Photos

Photos

(0)
Crowd shows love for Women of Faith's last Billings event

Crowd shows love for Women of Faith's last Billings event

April 24, 2015 9:00 pm Photos

Photos

(1)
Feature photos: Nurse-in on the courthouse lawn

Feature photos: Nurse-in on the courthouse lawn

April 24, 2015 1:50 pm Photos

Photos

(5)

Stormy weather ahead for weekend

April 24, 2015 6:28 am(0)

Follow The Billings Gazette

Popular Stories

Get weekly ads via e-mail

Deals & Offers

Featured Businesses