Orchard Elementary School and houses in the neighborhood were evacuated briefly Wednesday morning after a gas line was ruptured.
Assistant Fire Chief Frank Odermann said the gas line break was reported at 10:20 a.m.
The property where the line was ruptured is a vacant lot between homes at 4130 and 4136 Buchanan Ave. The vacant lot had been excavated and footings for a new house were visible.
A backhoe working on that project apparently ruptured the gas line at the back of the property near the alley.
Odermann said firefighters who first responded to the incident made the decision to evacuate Orchard School at 120 Jackson St., and pupils and staff members walked several blocks to Riverside Middle School, at 3700 Madison Ave.
Police officers and firefighters also knocked on doors to ask residents to leave their homes in the block just north of Orchard School, between Van Buren and Jackson streets from Buchanan Avenue to Roosevelt Avenue.
Crews from Montana-Dakota Utilities had shut off the gas leak shortly after 11:30 a.m., and the evacuation order was lifted. No injuries were reported.