Shepherd-area man dies after bull attack

2012-10-25T11:30:00Z 2014-08-25T17:39:15Z Shepherd-area man dies after bull attackBy ED KEMMICK ekemmick@billingsgazette.com The Billings Gazette

A 44-year-old Shepherd-area man was killed Thursday morning by his own bull.

Yellowstone County Sheriff's Lt. Kent O'Donnell confirmed that the man was dead but said he could not release the man's name yet because family members were still being notified.

O'Donnell said County Coroner Bill Jones determined that the man was mauled by his bull, a long-horned animal that a neighbor told authorities was a Mexican fighting bull.

"We're assuming he went outside to feed the bull" when the attack occurred, O'Donnell said, and it was evident the man sustained "a fair amount of trauma."

Deputies were called to 6233 Pleasant Hollow Trail, about six miles north of Shepherd, at about 9 a.m., O'Donnell said. He said a neighbor looked out his window and saw the bull standing in a corral over what appeared to be a human body.

Jones said the man may have died up to an hour and a half before the call came in at 9, according to O'Donnell.

The first person on the scene was a county grader operator, John Hutzenbiler, who is also a member of the Shepherd Volunteer Fire Department. He was working a couple of miles from the scene when he was alerted by pager and then asked to respond by another firefighter.

He went to the residence and used his grader to herd the bull out of the corral into the adjoining pasture, then blocked the entrance to the pasture with the grader.

Three deputies also responded, as did an American Medical Response ambulance and a unit from the Shepherd Volunteer Fire Department.

About 10 a.m., when deputies were still waiting for the coroner to arrive, the bull repeatedly approached the fence separating the pasture and the corral, bellowing and grunting and shaking his head.

Two deputies were holding shotguns loaded with slugs and pointed them at the bull on several occasions, "just in case the bull decided to charge them," O'Donnell said.

The body was lying under a sheet, and some of the man's clothing was scattered on the ground about 50 feet away. O'Donnell said the clothing appeared to have been torn off during the incident, as evidenced by the man's jacket, the sleeves of which had been pulled inside out.

O'Donnell said no one else was at the home Thursday morning. He said the victim's wife was out of town and had been notified.

Copyright 2015 The Billings Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(42) Comments

1. staceyronq
    staceyronq - October 28, 2012 7:26 pm
    sorry to see you go. Nice Guy.
  2. VCSORD1
    VCSORD1 - October 27, 2012 7:18 am
    I agree. Not nearly enough curl to the horns for a Longhorn.
  3. shane williams
    shane williams - October 26, 2012 5:27 pm
    so sorry for the family he was my classmate and a good freind just found out today if there is anything i can do please let me know cant get ahold of the family
  4. Redlodgerick
    Redlodgerick - October 26, 2012 5:26 pm
    There is news and then there is this video. I hope the Gazette learns from this mistake. Period.
  5. Mr Clean
    Mr Clean - October 26, 2012 10:09 am
    Maybe the cold weather got to the bull and wanted some of the dudes clothing! Send it back to Mexico. Don't mess with the Bull!
  6. fidlr
    fidlr - October 26, 2012 9:41 am
    I'm not a Yankeefan, but I agree with him and also a few others who made sensible comments. The outrage over printing the address is silly. As soon as all relatives have been informed the deceased's name is published in all cases of accidental death. This was not some super secret. The reporter only writes the story. His editor is responsible for what is printed and the same goes for the photos. The wife would have been wisely concerned for the bull's welfare. He is a valuable asset to her, whether it is for breeding, semen,sale or eventual slaughter. I mean thousands of dollars here! Why wasn't the bull put down immediately? A ahot bull woould be good for nothing but rendering and we still don't have a rendering plant do we? Properly slaughtered the meat, hide and horns are worth dollars. And actually the bull was just being a bull. If I was the wife I would be more interested in finding a buyer rather than having the bull killed. Cattle folks know about bulls and their behaviors.
  7. uknowit
    uknowit - October 26, 2012 9:21 am
    Mexican bulls are crazy mean. Why own one?
  8. lillredmt
    lillredmt - October 26, 2012 8:57 am
    My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends that are grieving at this time. Unfortunately, this isn't the first time the Gazette has slipped and covered a story about a death before the family was notified. I read an article about my uncle being killed in a drunk driving wreck before our family was called. Hopefully this family can grieve in peace without the unneccessary news coverage.
  9. TKLucero
    TKLucero - October 26, 2012 8:52 am
    I am sorry for your loss and i agree with what you said. This much should not have been released to the public until th family knew everything. And releasing the address of where this tragedy happened is the same as telling us his name, for that matter they should have left the pic of the bull out too. those animals are unique and easily recognized by friends and family. Again very sorry for your loss, and I wish you all the best.
  10. Aranphor
    Aranphor - October 26, 2012 5:47 am
    My heart goes out to his family. I hope they find peace soon.
  11. Aranphor
    Aranphor - October 26, 2012 5:47 am
    Don't you all think the death of someone is a tad more important than your petty gripes about the Gazette?

Nah, I am sure in your mind your gripe is of utmost importance.
  12. wandakaye
    wandakaye - October 26, 2012 12:36 am
    And yes for those idiots that say there is free press his children did not know.
  13. joelfantazzi
    joelfantazzi - October 26, 2012 12:09 am
    Completely unnecessary. Remove the address, remove the pictures, and rewrite the article the way a decent person would. He deserves a lot more respect than this.
  14. wandakaye
    wandakaye - October 25, 2012 10:29 pm
    i would just like to say I am the mother of this mans kids. I am disgusted that you are so inclined for a story that you would put not only a descriptive article but also the pictures of this incident before his children even digested the thought their father is gone, only to see all the crap you have displayed. He has a wife, sister, mother and children that none of you have bothered to think about except for the glory of the article of the day. Shame on you and maybe you should explain to my kids why everyone in Yellowstone county and beyond knew more than they did.
  15. yankeefan
    yankeefan - October 25, 2012 9:58 pm
    Folks, you live in a free society with a free press. Sometimes, news isn't pretty. If you don't like it, don't read it. Cancel your paper. But don't wish for censored news or watered-down stories. I'll take my news unfiltered, please.
  16. Laughter
    Laughter - October 25, 2012 9:36 pm
    "I can't believe the new widow was worried about the bull being fed. I am sure she is in shock but....." Everyone responds differently to the shock of death....she sounds like she went on "automatic pilot". And the bull was just acting like a bull does. This story is just sad on all levels. Our condolences for the widow and family and the bull should be hamburger by now, imo.

17. bout time
    bout time - October 25, 2012 9:07 pm
    I am sure the bull won't be lasting too much longer...
  18. Bullride21
    Bullride21 - October 25, 2012 8:37 pm
    A cow gets out of PAYS and terrorizes a dude on a bike and takes one from Billings finest. This Tool kills a guy and gets off.
  19. AL KIPF
    AL KIPF - October 25, 2012 7:55 pm
    No kidding, where's Rich St John with the SWAT War Wagon when you need him? I'm certain the cow saw the deputy with the shot gun and trembled in his hooves.
  20. ne-mt
    ne-mt - October 25, 2012 7:16 pm
    The bull is in good shape so grind him and sell the horns. He cannot be trusted if he should happen to get out he will raise serious problems and the owner will be liable. In one of the pictures it looks like there is another animal of the same breed so was this guy raising this type of breed.
  21. Gramsy
    Gramsy - October 25, 2012 6:53 pm
    The pictures are totally improper. Who needs to see video of their loved ones clothing being picked up and put in a bag. And, yes, why isn't this bull dead. If it was someone's pit bull it would be. And I seriously doubt his wife wanted to hurry home to take water and food to the bull. Let's use some common sense when it comes to sensitive things. This entire article, including pictures and address, is a shame to our local newspaper. My thoughts and prayers are with the family in their time of loss.
  22. Gramsy
    Gramsy - October 25, 2012 6:42 pm
    That was my first thought. Won't they know who it is if they see their address. Whoever wrote this should think about it for awhile.
  23. Steph
    Steph - October 25, 2012 6:31 pm
    Shame on you, Gazette. Listing the actual home address is the equivalent of releasing the victim's name. If I was out of town and happened to check the Gazette online for news and read that a deadly incident happened at my house - I'm pretty sure I could put two and two together. How unbelievably insensitive and uncalled for. Think before you report! Unbelievable!

My thought and prayers to the family. I truly hope that they didn't find this terrible news out by reading this article.
  24. Random Lady
    Random Lady - October 25, 2012 6:31 pm
    Okay, BG, you post inappropriate pics, but you won't take criticism of the photographer? My first post hasn't appeared, so I have to assume you are concerned about offending the guy with the camera.....
  25. bout time
    bout time - October 25, 2012 6:22 pm
    I would have to agree with Angie.... These pictures were in very poor taste.... So was giving his address...I too have a friend who knows this man from his hometown, she found out who it was because they listed his address...not impressed at ALL this time BG!
  26. Angie from Montana
    Angie from Montana - October 25, 2012 6:06 pm
    Since you did not post my first comment I wlli comment again SHAME ON YOU BILLINGS GAZETTE!!!!! I grew up with this man his sister and mother and I am sick with disgust that you are showing pictures of my friends blood on the bulls horns, his shirt going in and evidence bag, a video, his body laying beneath a blanket. I am saddened that you stooped to the level of the National Enquirerer. I have read your paper since I can even remember growing up and even have you as an app on my iphone. Respect for this paper is gone. Hearts and prayers to his family.
  27. bout time
    bout time - October 25, 2012 6:05 pm
    All in all, it's a horrific accident. So sad. I was also wondering why the bull was still alive? This poor guy's wife, and entire family. I cannot even imagine....
  28. RA
    RA - October 25, 2012 6:00 pm
    I am surprised they didn't call the Billings SWAT unit.
  29. utopian1
    utopian1 - October 25, 2012 4:56 pm
    My first thought upon the widow's comment was that she is worried he will try to break out of the pasture if he doesn't have food or water. That would be my concern if the bull killed once, will he kill again? Let's make sure he has no reason to break out.
  30. dblup
    dblup - October 25, 2012 4:44 pm
    The last line of the story is really inappropriate, apparently meant to show how lowbrow these cattle types are.

Not fair to the widow who probably had little idea what she was hearing OR saying.
  31. right angle
    right angle - October 25, 2012 4:38 pm
    Talk about a bad assed bull. And to think the wife is concerned about the bull's well being.
  32. weeone
    weeone - October 25, 2012 4:11 pm
    Agreed!!
  33. openair
    openair - October 25, 2012 4:10 pm
    You apparently didn't see the pictures they had up two hours ago. If I was a family member and had seen that picture before I was notified heads would have been rolling...
  34. anotherconcernedcitizen
    anotherconcernedcitizen - October 25, 2012 3:59 pm
    "She was concerned about the bull getting enough food and water and was heading home, O'Donnell said." Really? That could not have been her thoughts, I hope not. And if it wasn't way to represent her concern BG! WOW! This is all so sad. And yes they couldn't left out the address and the picture of the bull with this poor mans blood all over it, terrible.

35. bstrum
    bstrum - October 25, 2012 3:53 pm
    No kidding! I would take my own gun to it if I couldn't get the police to shoot it before I got home!
  36. Phil316
    Phil316 - October 25, 2012 3:34 pm
    Are you kidding me, you're selling pictures / video's of a man's death or after his death? LOW CLASS, Ed Kemmick! Have respect for the family of this man!
  37. ruby
    ruby - October 25, 2012 3:30 pm
    These are NOT bad pictures. You people need to back off.

I can't believe the new widow was worried about the bull being fed. I am sure she is in shock but..... My guy reaction would have been to order him put down. Such a horrific and very tragic event. :(
  38. MTbornraised
    MTbornraised - October 25, 2012 2:59 pm
    I'm disgusted by the pictures - and the address being given? May as well have released the name. Nice work BG.
  39. openair
    openair - October 25, 2012 1:57 pm
    I agree and some of the pictures! Have some compassion Gazette!
  40. rboysinmt
    rboysinmt - October 25, 2012 1:41 pm
    I wish that the Gazette would remove the address, North Shepherd would be suffiecent. And it is a Watusi Bull.
  41. Bullride21
    Bullride21 - October 25, 2012 12:48 pm
    The breed looks more Watusi than Longhorn.
  42. mizznice
    mizznice - October 25, 2012 12:36 pm
    Oh wow!! this is terrible! I feel for the family, this is my worst nightmare b/c my family owns cattle! Wondering why this animal is still alive?!

Comment policy

We provide this forum for readers to exchange ideas and opinions on the day's news. Passionate views, pointed criticism and critical thinking are welcome. Name-calling, crude language and abuse are not. You must be logged into a personal account on Facebook to comment (FAQ). Readers are responsible for their comments and abuse of this privilege will not be tolerated. We reserve the right, without warning or notification, to remove comments and block users we determine violate our Terms of Service. Comments reflect the opinions of the author - not those of The Billings Gazette or its parent company.

You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick