Butte man burned while working on motor home

2014-08-01T15:00:00Z 2014-08-01T22:35:05Z Butte man burned while working on motor homeBy ANGELA BRANDT Montana Standard The Billings Gazette
August 01, 2014 3:00 pm  • 

BUTTE — A 42-year-old Butte man suffered severe burns across his face and body Thursday afternoon while working on a motor home’s engine.

The man, who has not been identified, was taken to St. James Healthcare and later flown to a burn center for treatment, Butte-Silver Bow Sheriff Ed Lester said.

He was engulfed in flames after gas was poured into the vehicle’s carburetor and the ignition turned. The flaming gas leaped onto him, burning his faces, arms, hands and chest, Lester said.

His condition was not known during this morning’s police briefing. Lester said the injuries are potentially life threatening.

The man put the flames out by rolling in the nearby dirt with the assistance of a man who was working on the motor home with him. Lester said the man had extinguished the fire when authorities arrived at the Placer Street scene at about 3:45 p.m. Thursday.

Lester said it is imperative to respect the flammability and other dangers involved with handling gasoline, especially during hot summer months.

“Unfortunately, this is an example of that,” he added.

Copyright 2015 The Billings Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

More from the Gazette

Woman denies assault charges

8 hours agoLoading…

ATM taken from Polson bank

9 hours agoLoading…
Work on collapsed building stalled before judge

Work on collapsed building stalled before judge

13 hours agoLoading…
Work on collapsed Butte building stalled before judge

Work on collapsed Butte building stalled before judge

14 hours agoLoading…

Teen transient could face 100 years for raping unconscious woman

15 hours agoLoading…

Follow The Billings Gazette

Popular Stories

Get weekly ads via e-mail

Deals & Offers

Featured Businesses