Glasgow father calls son's quick recovery from shop accident miraculous

2012-11-08T00:00:00Z 2014-08-25T06:39:18Z Glasgow father calls son's quick recovery from shop accident miraculousBy ROB ROGERS The Billings Gazette

Craig Herbert got the call Friday afternoon. 

The secretary at Glasgow High School told him to get to campus, that his son had been in an accident in shop class. 

"I figured he probably got his hand stuck down in something and got hurt," Craig said.

But then he pulled into the high school parking lot, right behind the ambulance.

"I thought, 'Oh no, this is not good,'" he said. 

His son Lane Herbert, the school's quarterback, had been working on an engine in auto shop class when the fan, spinning at full speed, disconnected from the engine block and struck Lane above the left eye.

The impact was strong enough to knock Lane flat on his back. And that's where his father found him. 

Lane was stunned for a moment. And then, as he began to make sense of the situation, the first thing he said was that he had a game Saturday, Craig Herbert said. 

No one responded. Because it was a head wound, blood was pouring from Lane's face. The fan had torn the skin and fractured his skull.

Lane was airlifted from the Glasgow hospital to Billings Clinic along with his father. 

"It didn't finally hit me until they were taking him into the operating room," Craig said. 

Family members and doctors didn't know yet how much damage the injury had done. The blow to Lane's head was near the motor-control center of his brain. That worried his family.

"We were doing a lot of praying," Craig said. 

Lane's operation Friday night was successful. He slept much of Saturday, and by Sunday the doctors were eager to get him on his feet. The first few times getting him to sit up led to serious dizzy spells, but by the end of the day Lane had taken a half-hour walk.

But for Craig, the moment when he realized his son would be fine came Saturday night in the intensive-care unit.

They got permission to stream the audio of the Glasgow football game and as Lane listened, he guessed play after play — right each time — and understood exactly what was happening on the field. 

After a successful walkabout Sunday, Lane was released Monday with a check-up set for later this week.

"It's nothing short of a miracle," Craig Herbert said.

Craig's back in Glasgow at his job. Lane is staying with his mother in Billings through the week. They'll return to Glasgow on Monday.

"Everything that we're seeing is good," Craig said. "He's getting a lot of attention and a lot of support."

Copyright 2014 The Billings Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Billings Gazette

Popular Stories

Get weekly ads via e-mail

Deals & Offers

Featured Businesses