Brian J Wells


A man believed to have been driving over 100 mph during a police pursuit Saturday afternoon lost control of his rental car and rolled it two-and-a-half times near Emigrant, according to the Montana Highway Patrol. 

The driver of the rental car, Brian J. Wells, 36, was left with minor injuries from the crash.

Saturday night Wells was being held on a felony warrant out of Utah, felony criminal endangerment and three other misdemeanor charges, according to Park County Undersheriff Clay Herbst. 

Shortly after 1 p.m. a Park County Sheriff's deputy had pulled Wells over in a Livingston parking lot after he was reported to have been driving erratically on I-90 near mile marker 349, Herbst said. 

The deputy was able to obtain Wells' ID and went back to his patrol vehicle to run a check on it. 

"At that point the individual driving the vehicle fled in the vehicle at a high rate of speed southbound on Highway 89," Herbst said. 

Vehicles in Wells' path reportedly were forced to either pull onto the shoulder or go into the ditch off the road to avoid him, Herbst said. 

"During the southbound pursuit he was throwing items out the window which appeared to be clear baggies," Herbst said. Those baggies were found to have a white substance inside of them, Herbst said.

Wells crashed at approximately 1:20 p.m., roughly 20 minutes after his erratic driving was initially called into police. 

The rollover crash occurred on Highway 89 near mile marker 34 near Emigrant, according to Montana Highway Patrol Trooper Erick Fetterhoff. Wells appeared to have lost control of the car and went off the right side of the road before the crash, during which he rolled over two-and-a-half times, according to Fetterhoff. 

"He smashed it in pretty good," Fetterhoff said of the 2017 Caddillac CTS the man had been driving. "He was doing over 100 (mph) when he left the road." 

The Park County Sheriff's deputy who had pursued Wells had to break out a rear window of the car and help him out of the vehicle before taking him into custody, according to Herbst. 

Wells was taken to Livingston Memorial Hospital where he was checked for injuries, after which he was cleared medically and detained inside the Park County Detention Center. 

The investigation into the incident, including the substance in the baggies, remains ongoing, Herbst said. 


Night Reporter

General assignment reporter for The Billings Gazette.