'Mountain man' Dan Nichols arrested at Butte Walmart

2012-05-22T17:07:00Z 2014-08-25T23:50:17Z 'Mountain man' Dan Nichols arrested at Butte WalmartBy John Grant Emeigh Montana Standard The Billings Gazette

BUTTE — The fugitive known as the “mountain man” was caught Tuesday afternoon in the Butte Walmart parking lot.

Dan Nichols, 46, was arrested about 2:30 p.m. in the parking lot of store on Harrison Avenue.

Nichols has been wanted by law enforcement since March after he failed to show up for a pretrial hearing in Jefferson County on a drug case. Nichols gained infamy for abducting a world-class biathlete in Big Sky in 1984.

Rod Ostermiller with the U.S. Marshals Service said the service got several tips last week and had confirmed sightings of Nichols in the Bozeman and Three Forks area.

Marshals followed up on the tips, he said, and spoke with several people who knew of Nichols and where he was. Those tips led the marshals to think Nichols was in Butte, Ostermiller said.

The marshals learned what kind of car Nichols was driving, a red 1982 Honda Prelude with Gallatin County plates, and contacted the Butte-Silver Bow Police Department, who caught Nichols.

Three officers spotted Nichols’ car and conducted a felony stop, with their guns drawn and ordering Nichols on the ground, according to Butte police. Nichols complied with police and was arrested without incident.

“They did a very good job for us,” Ostermiller said of the Butte-Silver Bow police department.

Butte Sheriff John Walsh said Nichols didn’t have any weapons at the time of his arrest.

He is expected to be arraigned in Butte court Wednesday and he will be turned over to the U.S. Marshals Service.

Nichols was being held in the Butte jail Tuesday.

Nichols was arrested Aug. 13, 2011 at a music festival near Three Forks after police found him with marijuana and heroin. He pleaded not guilty to two counts each of possession and distribution of dangerous drugs and one count of tampering with evidence. A trial had been set in Boulder in Jefferson County, but Nichols eventually fled.

In 1984, Nichols and his father, Don Nichols, kidnapped Kari Swenson. Don Nichols was sentenced to 75 years in prison for shooting a man who was helping search for Swenson. Dan Nichols served 10 years for kidnapping.

Copyright 2014 The Billings Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Billings Gazette

Popular Stories

Get weekly ads via e-mail

Deals & Offers

Featured Businesses