A Wolf Point woman has been flown to the Salt Lake City Burn Center with burns over 80 percent of her body after she was injured in a propane explosion Thursday.
A man and woman, both in their mid-30s, were camping south of Wolf Point along the Missouri River, using a propane cook stove as a heater in their tent when the propane bottle malfunctioned, causing an explosion, according to Ken Trottier, supervising criminal investigator for the Fort Peck Tribe's Department of Law and Justice.
Though Trottier would not release the couple's names, The Billings Gazette idependently confirmed the couple as Amber Buckles and Joey Muniz, both of Wolf Point.
The couple managed to escape the tent and walk to a residence about an eighth of a mile away, where they were able to summon 911. Both were taken to Trinity Hospital in Wolf Point. Buckles was airlifted to Salt Lake City. Muniz was treated and released.
The incident occurred at about 3 a.m. Thursday.
The investigation is closed, Trottier said. No further information was available.