POWELL, Wyo. — Officials say burglars who broke into a fireworks stand in Powell narrowly averted blowing themselves up after they lighted a fire near shelves stacked with highly volatile fireworks.
The burglars broke locks to enter a semitrailer filled with fireworks Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning.
The burglars burned boxes and sparklers inside the trailer but somehow avoided causing an explosion.
Officer Matthew Brilakis of the Powell Police Department said the situation could have been ugly.
The Powell Volunteer Fire Department was summoned, and firefighters used a thermal imager to make sure no fire was burning within the within the walls of the trailer.