Subscribe for 33¢ / day
Police lights

CASPER, Wyo. — The Casper Police Department has found no indication that the two officers who shot and killed a sword-wielding man earlier this week acted outside of the law or department policy, the department announced Friday afternoon.

The two officers, Jonathan Schlager and Cody Meyers, are on leave as the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation examines the Sunday night shooting.

Douglas Oneyear, 36, was wielding a sword when two officers shot him shortly before midnight Sunday, according to police. He died at the scene.

"The family and friends of Mr. Oneyear, as well as the involved Officers and their families, have all been deeply impacted by this incident, as has the community as a whole," the department said in a statement. "The Casper Police Department would ask the community to exercise compassion and understanding for our Officers and the family of Mr. Oneyear as we move forward as a community."

The Division of Criminal Investigation's findings will be passed on to the Natrona County District Attorney’s Office, which will determine whether to file charges.

If the district attorney’s office decides charges are not warranted, top prosecutor Mike Blonigen will release a letter explaining his findings, he said Monday.

At 11:36 p.m. Sunday, police officers responded to a call from the Loaf ‘N Jug on Centennial Court, where the clerk said a man "had come into the store wielding a sword and had threatened her and physically assaulted her," the Casper Police Department said in a Monday statement. The clerk did not suffer injuries that required immediate medical care.

About three minutes after the call, police officers confronted a man with a sword near the intersection of East 15th Street and Trojan Drive, according to the statement. That area is about two-tenths of a mile from the gas station.

"During that contact, two Casper Department Officers fired their service weapons at the male subject," the release said. "The officers subsequently rendered medical attention to the male subject, who succumbed to his injuries and died at the scene."

Oneyear, who was alone at the time, was pronounced dead around 11:50 p.m. according to the coroner’s office.