Officials suspend hunt for bear that attacked man near Cody, Wyo.

2013-06-25T12:30:00Z 2013-07-05T17:03:10Z Officials suspend hunt for bear that attacked man near Cody, Wyo.Gazette Staff The Billings Gazette
June 25, 2013 12:30 pm  • 

Officials with the Wyoming Game and Fish Department announced Monday that they'll suspend efforts to trap a grizzly bear, along with her two cubs, who attacked a man south of Cody, Wyo., last week.

"Trapping efforts have been suspended because the bear has moved into a more remote location and is no longer in the area of the incident or near any homes,” Alan Osterland, Cody region wildlife supervisor, said in a news release. “Our primary concern is for human safety. Based on the circumstances of the encounter, we feel that the bear did not display unnatural aggression and does not pose an elevated threat to people.”

The bear attacked Nic Patrick, 63, on June 20 as he worked along an irrigation ditch on his property on Southfork Road, about 20 miles south of Cody.

He managed to make it back to his home after the attack and call for help.

Game officials spent three days searching for the bear and setting traps, with no luck. They did, however, find tracks they believe belong to the bears that lead into "rugged terrain outside of human development," Osterland said.

"We will continue to closely monitor the situation and respond to any reports of bears in the area or incidents of human bear conflicts," he said.

A family friend told YellowstoneGate.com that Patrick suffered injuries that included severe cuts to the face, although his condition didn't appear to be life-threatening. He was taken to West Park Hospital in Cody and expected to recover there for several days.

Copyright 2014 The Billings Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Billings Gazette

Popular Stories

Get weekly ads via e-mail

Featured Businesses