Racicot declines US Senate bid

2013-09-16T15:06:00Z 2014-05-30T11:09:26Z Racicot declines US Senate bidThe Associated Press The Associated Press
September 16, 2013 3:06 pm  • 

HELENA — Former Montana Gov. Marc Racicot says he will not run for the U.S. Senate seat being vacated by Max Baucus.

The Republican said Monday said he has been discussing the idea with supporters over the past few months, but ultimately decided against running.

Racicot said that he is encouraging U.S. Rep. Steve Daines to run for Montana's first open Senate seat since the 1970s. Racicot said he thinks Daines would "represent Montana exceptionally well."

Daines has said he is considering a race that so far has no announced top-flight candidates.

Several Democrats have already declined runs, including former Gov. Brian Schweitzer. Current Lt. Gov. John Walsh has not ruled out a run, and former Lt. Gov. John Bohlinger said he is also considering a run.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Billings Gazette

Activate Full Access RED

Popular Stories

Deals & Offers

Featured Businesses

Classifieds