Archer's Beer Depot was opened by Ermal Archer in 1957 at 1223 Grand Ave., next to what was then Floyd's Barber Shop. The bar and liquor store became known as a meeting place for local college students, and soon outgrew its tiny space. Archer's son, Bud, took over management, and by the 1970s moved the business down the street to a new building at 1918 Grand Ave. The name was changed to Archer's Casino, and remained in business until Bud Archer retired to care for his ailing wife. Today, the uniquely shaped building is home to Rio Grande Casino.