The Rex Hotel was constructed in 1910, built by Alfred Heimer, who cooked for Buffalo Bill Cody at his Wild West Show.
Initially, Heimer’s dining room fare offered “cold beer and good German lunches.”
The Rex became a meeting place for colorful Western characters, including Buffalo Bill, Calamity Jane and Will James. A third floor was added in 1917.
During Prohibition days, the bar didn’t disappear, it just moved from room to room.
You have free articles remaining.
The Rex’s prosperity declined with the loss of passenger rail service. By 1975, the hotel and restaurant at 2401 Montana Ave., was one day away from getting a date with the wrecking ball when local businesswoman Senia Hart bought and saved the historic building.
A&E Architects restored The Rex, winning an award for historic renovation. In 1983, the Rex Hotel Partnership bought the hotel and remodeled the restaurant.
In 1998, The Rex added another bar, a patio and more a casual restaurant decorated with hand-painted replicas of pictographs from the Yellowstone Valley.
Source: The Rex