Subscribe for 17¢ / day

A man facing dozens of felonies after police say he tortured his former girlfriend is now accused of kidnapping another woman and threatening to kill her after a botched drug deal.

Charles Arleigh Green, 55, faces three counts of assault with a weapon and one count each of aggravated kidnapping, intimidation and possession of a silencer. He pleaded not guilty on Thursday.

Green has been in the Yellowstone County jail since May 4, 2017, on separate charges and is being held on bond of $1,080,000.

Green held a 19-year-old woman against her will in February 2017 for roughly 14 hours, she told detectives, after she paid a man Green’s $900 for meth but did not receive the drugs.

Green and another man, Charles Lashley, had arranged for her to buy meth from a third man whom they selected as the seller. It was unclear why Green did not buy the drugs himself. 

The seller took the money from the woman and went into an apartment near Lake Elmo to retrieve the drugs but never emerged, the woman told detectives.

While holding the woman in Lashley’s garage on the 2000 block of Eighth Avenue North, Green used a Taser to shock the woman multiple times while he asked her about the missing money, charges state. He also threatened her with a gun fitted with a silencer, and forced her to take methamphetamine, which the woman said was an attempt to prevent her from running or calling police.

Green forced the woman to provide the names and addresses of her family members, including her young child, and said he’d kill them if she did not produce the missing $900, she said.

Sheriff’s deputies eventually were alerted to the kidnapping case when the woman called 911 using a cellphone she’d hidden. She had been driven around by a man named Dustin Legare, who worked for Green, according to charges. Legare sexually assaulted and threatened her with a knife, she said.

While driving around, Legare called Green and put him on speakerphone. Green told Legare to take the woman to “the middle of nowhere” and torture her, and wait for Green to arrive so he could kill her. The woman then called 911 and jumped out of the moving truck, running a half mile before knocking on the door of a home and asking for help.

Legare was booked into the Yellowstone County jail on Monday on anticipated charges of sexual intercourse without consent, assault and kidnapping. Lashley has not been charged in the case.

Green was arrested a week after the woman escaped from Legare’s truck. A search warrant of his vehicle turned up two Tasers, a pistol, a long rifle fitted with a silencer and dozens of rounds of ammunition.

Green is being held on 26 felony charges in an unrelated case from last year, in which Green was charged with kidnapping and torturing his girlfriend in the summer of 2016, breaking multiple bones, hospitalizing the woman and prompting her to leave the state to stay safe.

The woman in the current case has been treated medically and has also left Billings for her safety, charges state.

Green’s other active Yellowstone County case is from an incident on May 4, 2017, in which Green’s girlfriend at the time said he had hit her with an aluminum baseball bat and punched her in the face multiple times, after being released from jail a week earlier. Green was charged with assault with a weapon and felony partner or family member assault, as well as misdemeanor assault.

Green has prior convictions for kidnapping and aggravated assault in 2007 in Tennessee, and two prior convictions for partner or family member assault in 1998 and 2017.


Justice Reporter

Justice reporter for the Billings Gazette.