Subscribe for 17¢ / day

MILES CITY - A new Yellowstone River Floater's Guide is now available detailing the stretch from the Captain Clark fishing access east to Forsyth.

So far, there are three such guides. Each guide covers about 80 miles of river. The other two guides detail the Yellowstone from Springdale to Park City and the river from Park City to Pompey's Pillar and the Captain Clark Fishing access.

The guides can be bought for $4 at the Bureau of Land Management Miles City field office, or the BLM state offices in Billings.

For more information, contact the BLM Miles City Field Office at (406) 233-2810.

The floater guides emphasize the return trip of the Lewis and Clark expedition down the Yellowstone River. The newly published guide

The Miles City Field Office is seeing an increase in requests for floating information on the Yellowstone River, according to David Squires, BLM natural resource advisor. The agency expects river use to increase in conjunction with the Lewis and Clark expedition bicentennial - 2004-2006.

Three more Yellowstone River Guides are projected for completion in the future, as well as guides for the Lower Missouri River system from Fort Peck Dam to Williston, N.D.

Recreationists reminded: License needed for state lands As Montana campers, hikers, anglers and mushroom pickers take to the hills and valleys this spring and summer, they are reminded that a state land recreational use license is required to access state lands.

Dirt bike and ATV riders should note that the use of motor vehicles on state land is more restrictive than on federal land. Unlike federal policy, existing roads/trails on state land are not automatically open for vehicle use. Motorized vehicle use on most state land is prohibited and off-road use is strictly prohibited.

Only public roads or other roads the state Department of Natural Resources and Conservation designates "open" may be used. Authorized roads are posted and/or shown on travel plan maps.

The prevalence of mushrooms in areas devastated by fires is certain this spring. That's why the DNRC reminds pickers about the licensing requirements for picking mushrooms on state trust land.

To legally pick mushrooms on state land requires purchasing a state land recreational use license.

If the mushrooms will be sold, a special recreational license must be purchased. The cost is: 7-day permit - $30; 14-day permit - $60; 21-day permit - $100; 30-day permit - $120; seasonal permit - $150

Camping is permitted only within 200 feet of a normal access point or access route on state property. The maximum length of overnight stay in a particular spot is two consecutive days.

Open fires are prohibited on state land. Make sure that you carry a shovel, axe and bucket with you at all times, and never park your vehicle over fine grasses or dry vegetation or leave an area where you have parked without checking that area.

State land recreational use licenses are available from any FWP license agent, FWP regional office or DNRC land office. The cost of a license ranges from $5 to $20. The license must be in the person's possession while on state land.

For more information about accessing state land, contact your local DNRC office or call (406) 444-2074.