{{featured_button_text}}
Fire truck

A fire early Saturday caused $20,000 to $30,000 in damages to a modular home in Laurel.

The blaze started about 4 a.m. inside the house at 605 Locust Ave., said Jason Shovar, fire marshal for the city of Laurel. 

A family of three, all inside the home, made it out safely, Shovar said. There were no working smoke detectors inside the structure.

About 25 firefighters in two engines and a support truck responded to the fire. It took nearly four hours to extinguish the blaze.

The cause of the fire was a malfunction in the pipe of a wood-burning stove, Shovar said. The pipe came apart and started a fire in the ceiling fixtures, which spread throughout the living room and dining room area.

The family, who rent the house, have insurance, he said.

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.
0
0
0
0
0

Locations