Founded in 1902, The Boston Store was a department store chain established by R.M. Hart and B.R. Albin. The store changed its name to the Hart-Albin Company, the name under which it was known until its closure in 1990. The company's flagship store began on Montana Avenue, but moved in 1905 to the Stapleton Building on North Broadway, and again to its own Hart-Albin Building further north on Broadway in 1918. By the 1970s, Hart-Albin opened its first out-of-town store in Missoula's Southgate Mall, and opened stores in Helena and Bozeman in the 1980s. At the time of its demise, the company had additional locations in West Park Plaza and Rimrock Mall in Billings.