Subscribe for 17¢ / day

Friday, May 2, 2003

Wolf found dead in park MOOSE, Wyo. — A wolf was found dead Wednesday evening in the northeast corner of Grand Teton National Park.

The 6-year-old female was found in a remote area after her radio collar began emitting a "mortality signal," meaning the animal was no longer moving. Her body was recovered by Mike Jimenez, Wyoming wolf recovery coordinator for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

The body will be sent the FWS forensics lab in Ashland, Ore., to determine the cause of death. Park officials declined to speculate on what might have killed the wolf but said there was no evidence of people in the area.

The wolf, known as No. 200, was born along the southeast arm of Yellowstone Lake in Yellowstone National Park as a member of the Thorofare pack.

She left the pack in 1998 and, along with two other wolves, formed the Gros Ventre pack near Jackson Hole. She joined the Teton pack that same year.

In 2001 and 2002, she produced pups in a double litter along with another female, No. 228.

Man recovering after crash A man from Cody, Wyo., man remained in serious condition at Deaconess Billings Clinic on Thursday after a head-on crash on Wyoming Highway 120 late Monday.

Ty Drake, 19, was taken to the hospital by helicopter after the car he was driving was struck by another driven by Robert Cedeno, 39, of Billings.

Drake suffered internal injuries and underwent surgery Tuesday, according to the Wyoming Highway Patrol.

Cedeno also sustained injuries but was listed in stable condition on Thursday. Three others in Drake's car suffered injuries. They were treated and released at local hospitals.

The crash happened after Cedeno, driving northbound about 14 miles north of Cody, veered into the southbound lane and struck Drake's vehicle.

Woman: Stabbing was self-defense A Billings woman charged with stabbing her roommate with a butcher knife contends that she acted in self-defense, said the defense on Thursday in seeking a bond reduction.

Defendant Lennea Kearney was on the telephone calling 911 when police arrived and made no attempt to flee the scene, the defense said. Bond was set in Justice Court at $35,000, and the defense asked that it be reduced to $10,000.

Deputy County Attorney Kevin Peterson opposed the reduction, arguing that Kearney had used a 10-inch butcher knife. The victim was "extremely fearful" of Kearney, he said.

District Judge Susan Watters decided to continue bond at $35,000.

According to court documents, Kearney stabbed her roommate Sandra Stuart on April 5 after an early-morning fight at an apartment that they shared on Danford Road. Stuart was treated at a local hospital for wounds to her left arm and right shoulder.