A house fire, a pedestrian struck by a vehicle and car wrecks kept fire crews and police busy Monday afternoon.
An elderly woman who uses a wheelchair was able to escape a house fire that damaged the back porch of a home on the 3500 block of Miles Avenue, according to Billings Fire Department battalion chief Kevin Johnson.
Firefighters responding at about 4:30 p.m. quickly put out the blaze on the exterior of the home, but the building suffered smoke damage. Another occupant of the home also was able to get out safely.
The fire was caused by a cigarette that wasn't put out correctly, according to a release from deputy fire marshal Andrew McLain. The fire caused about $3,000 in damage. The property was uninsured.
Only minutes later a pedestrian was struck on Central Avenue near Stewart Park on the West End.
Johnson said the pedestrian was taken to a hospital with non-life threatening injuries. He said that the incident occurred near where a bike path crosses the road, but it's unclear if the pedestrian was using the path. Police were still working at the scene, and it's unclear whether the driver or pedestrian would be cited.
As crews began to wrap up that scene, which briefly shut down westbound traffic on Central Avenue, a call for a flipped car on 12th Street West came in.
A 34-year-old woman was traveling south near Howard Avenue when her sedan struck the rear left side of a parked car, Johnson said.
The sedan rolled, landing on its roof and crushing much of the front half of the vehicle.
The driver was able to get out of the vehicle on her own and was taken to a hospital with non-life threatening injuries, Johnson said. It didn't appear that drugs, alcohol or excessive speed were involved, but inattentive driving may have been a factor.
By about 5:30 p.m. Johnson said fire crews were expected to be back into their typical availability soon, but that crews were stretched responding to the rapid-fire incidents.