Funeral services for Henny Scott

A board is covered with photos and messages during the funeral service for Henny Scott at Lame Deer High School in January.

A 14-year-old girl who was found dead two weeks after she was reported missing in December died from hypothermia, the state medical examiner's office concluded.

That information was confirmed Monday morning by Big Horn County Coroner Terry Bullis.

The FBI's investigation into Henny Scott's death remains ongoing, said FBI Salt Lake City Division public affairs specialist Sandra Yi Barker on Monday morning.

Because of the ongoing status of the investigation, Barker said she was unable to provide any additional information.

Henny's mother, Paula Castro, questioned the medical examiner's determination and expressed frustration with the lack of information she said she has received about the investigation into her daughter's death. 

"I haven't heard from either of them," she said, referring to Bullis and the FBI.

Keep reading for FREE!
Enjoy more articles by signing up or logging in. No credit card required.

Henny was reported missing and entered into the missing persons database on Dec. 13. At the request of the FBI, the Montana Department of Justice issued a Missing Endangered Person Advisory for her Dec. 26.

A search party found the 14-year-old Lame Deer High School freshman's body Dec. 28 in an area behind a house west of Lame Deer in the Muddy Creek area.

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

The state medical examiner's office was tasked with conducting an autopsy on Henny. Her family held a funeral for her at Lame Deer High School in early January.

Since Henny's death, four marches in her memory have taken place in Lame Deer to remember her and bring attention to missing and murdered indigenous women and girls. Multiple Montana high schools have worn red and organized other displays in her memory.