Subscribe for 17¢ / day
Glasgow pair in shooting identified
Melissa Greenhagen, 37, was fatally shot in the chest in the Frances Mahon Deaconess Hospital parking lot late Saturday afternoon. She was a new emergency medical technician at the hospital.

A husband and wife wounded in the fatal shooting of Melissa Greenhagen in Glasgow during the weekend have been identified as Scott and Suzanne Billingsley, of Glasgow.

Samar Fay, Valley County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman and editor of the Glasgow Courier, said the suspect in the shooting, who died after a shootout with law enforcement, was identified at about noon Tuesday, but his name is being withheld until his family is notified.

An autopsy was performed in Billings, and his fingerprints were sent to the Automated Fingerprint Identification System, which provided a positive identification.

Greenhagen, 37, was fatally shot in the chest in the Frances Mahon Deaconess Hospital parking lot late Saturday afternoon. She was a new emergency medical technician at the hospital.

The Billingsleys were shot when they came to her aid. Scott Billingsley was treated and released from the hospital. Suzanne, who works there as a nurse, was still hospitalized.

According to an Associated Press report, the man used a gravel slope for cover while he exchanged gunfire with law enforcement, which arrived shortly after the shootings, for about half an hour.

Initial reports indicated 35 to 40 officers were involved in the shootout, but Glasgow Police Chief Lyndon Erickson said Tuesday that the number at the hospital was smaller. "We had a tremendous response from all branches of law enforcement to our call for assistance in the search for the suspect, but to place all the officers who helped with the search at the crime scene is simply not accurate," he said.

The man then fled and, after a search involving several law enforcement agencies, officers tracked him to a house near the hospital. He "died of gunshot wounds," according to a press release from the Glasgow Police Department and the Valley County Sheriff's Office. Fay said the incident was over by 11:30 p.m. "The weapons and additional evidence from the crime scene will be submitted to the state crime laboratory in Missoula for testing," the release states. "Until that testing is complete, it is not possible to know the exact circumstances of the suspect's death."

An officer from the Glasgow Police Department and a deputy from the sheriff's office were placed on administrative leave after the shootings. The deputy was released from administrative leave after an autopsy of the shooter was performed.

The Department of Justice's Division of Criminal Investigations is assisting. Authorities hope to release more information about the shooting, including the suspect's name, today.

"We also appreciate people's patience and understanding while we conduct our investigation," Sheriff Glen Meier said. "We cannot release more details when we don't have all the facts yet. Until all the evidence is in, a lot of the information that's circulating is pure speculation."

Greenhagen was born and raised in Glasgow. In addition to her duties as a part-time EMT, she was the Valley County Clerk of District Court.

According to her obituary in The Billings Gazette, she married Craig Greenhagen in Glasgow in 1991, and they have four children together - Quinton and Coby, both 16; Krissy, 15; and Craiger, 12.

Greenhagen volunteered time with Hi-Line Youth Hockey, served on the board of the Fort Peck Theatre, was a troop committee chair for local Boy Scouts and volunteered time to work with the Girl Scouts, her obituary said.

Services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Evangelical Church in Glasgow. Bell Mortuary of Glasgow is in charge of arrangements.