Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
2 Montana dogs dead after being poisoned with strychnine

2 Montana dogs dead after being poisoned with strychnine

  • Updated

CONDON – Authorities believe someone placed strychnine-laced hamburger on a road near here that has killed two Labrador retrievers, and had the potential to poison wildlife as well.

Both dogs went into convulsions and died after being taken on walks by their owners on Owl Creek Road on separate days during the third week of June, according to Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks spokesman John Fraley.

“Due to the similarity in these cases, the veterinarian took samples from the second dog and sent them to a lab,” Fraley said.

The owners retraced their steps with game wardens, and one of the owners found what appeared to be colored grain in two different locations along Owl Creek Road.

Samples of the grain were submitted to the Montana Department of Agriculture.

Both the dog and grain samples returned positive for strychnine.

Anyone with knowledge of the poisonings is asked to call the TIP-MONT hotline at 1-800-847-6668, where they can remain anonymous and may be eligible for a reward for information that leads to a conviction. They can also contact FWP Warden Chuck Bartos at 253-2934.

Fraley said wardens believe the strychnine was placed in hamburger left on the road, and in addition to the dog deaths, are concerned about the potential for it to harm or kill wildlife.



Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News