Subscribe for 17¢ / day

GLASGOW - State investigators are trying to unravel what they termed a sniper-style shooting at the local hospital that left a woman and the suspect dead and two others wounded.

The homicide - Glasgow's first in more than a decade - shook residents and left authorities searching for a possible motive.

Melissa Greenhagen, 37, of Glasgow, a part-time emergency medical technician and clerk of state district court in Valley County, was killed in the Saturday evening shooting in the Frances Mahon Deaconess Hospital parking lot, police said.

Authorities said a female nurse and her husband were wounded after rushing to aid the woman. They were both listed in stable condition at the hospital but were not immediately identified.

Police said the suspect was later killed in a shooting involving police who followed a trail of blood to a house just south of town. The massive search for the man ended about 11:30 p.m. Saturday. Investigators were trying to identify the suspect and find a link between the suspect and Greenhagen.

The bodies of Greenhagen and the suspect will be transported to the Montana Crime Lab in Missoula for autopsies, authorities said.

Glasgow Police Chief Lyndon Erickson and Valley County Sheriff Glen Meier said they have requested assistance from the Montana Division of Criminal Investigation to investigate a homicide and an officer involved shooting.

Residents described how word of the shooting spread quickly through Glasgow, prompting homeowners to lock their doors and in some cases arm themselves. The town of about 3,500 people is located about 50 miles south of the Canadian border.

"Everybody knew who was killed and everybody knew who was hurt," said Marie Penderson, a local bartender who said she was an acquaintance of the victims. "We were all saying she couldn't be dead. We refused to believe it."

Authorities locked down the hospital and a nearby high school basketball game following the shooting and suspended train traffic along the BNSF railway until the suspect was found. No other suspects were being sought, Valley County Sheriff Glenn Meier said Sunday.

Meier and Erickson said it was the first homicide in the Glasgow area in 15 years.

"This has shocked all of us. Glasgow is place you feel comfortable raising your family," said Randy Holom, chief executive of the hospital.

Holom said he was at the hospital's annual holiday party about three blocks away when he got a call about the shoot-ing.

"When I got the call I thought it was a drill," he said.

The three victims were shot about 50 yards from the hospital's emergency room entrance. The hospital was locked down until about 1 a.m. with about 40 to 50 staff and an undetermined number of patients inside.