Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Oly's ordeal: Corgi survives 4 days after owner dies in avalanche

Oly's ordeal: Corgi survives 4 days after owner dies in avalanche

  • Updated
Oly the corgi

Silver Brelsford, oldest daughter of Terry Gaillard, holds Oly

after Bill Whittle, right, returned the dog to the family


Assumed to have died in an avalanche that killed one of his owners on Saturday, an exhausted and hungry Welsh Corgi dog lay down Wednesday by the door of the Cooke City hotel room that the family had occupied four days earlier.

“The family is super excited,” said Mark Staples, of the Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Center, which investigated the incident. “It’s one bright spot for them.”

Robert Weinstein, owner of the Alpine Motel at Cooke City, spotted the dog around noon Wednesday.

“I just saw it outside sitting by the room, which is pretty amazing,” he said.

He fed it and began calling around to make sure that the dog was the one he thought it was.

“I wasn’t 100 percent sure because I’d only seen it once or twice,” he said.

The dog, named Oly, was with Dave Gaillard, 44, of Bozeman, who was buried by an avalanche while skiing with his wife, Kerry, on Saturday. They were skiing along Hayden Creek, southeast of town, at an elevation of about 9,200 feet and just below Index Peak.

When the avalanche broke high atop the mountain, most of the snow was funneled into the narrow creek drainage where Gaillard was skiing, filling it 12 to 14 feet deep with tightly packed snow. Kerry Gaillard was on the edge of the avalanche, hanging onto a tree to avoid being swept away.

She told the Bozeman Daily Chronicle that her husband’s last thoughts were for her safety.

“His last words to me were, ‘Retreat to the trees.’ I think he saw what was coming from above, that I did not see. That reflects Dave’s amazing quality — thinking of others,” she said.

Search and rescue personnel saw no sign of Oly at the site, and it was thought he had been buried in the slide. But if Oly was buried, he managed to dig his way out and then walk four miles on stubby legs back to Cooke City in temperatures that dipped into the teens at night.

Cooke City businessman Bill Whittle, who volunteered to drive the dog back to his family on Wednesday, said Oly appeared to be in good condition despite his ordeal.

“It’s a miracle,” Whittle said.

When he first approached, Whittle said, Oly was nervous and scared. But when he called the dog’s name, Oly came right over.

“He was real hungry and thirsty,” Whittle said. “We fed him twice.”

Whittle is a member of the search and rescue crew that helped retrieve Gaillard’s body. He called the area a “bad spot” in difficult terrain.

Oly’s survival and return are all the more amazing because Corgis are not large dogs. They were bred short to avoid being kicked as they herded livestock. On average, males stand a foot and a half tall and weigh around 27 pounds.

“How in the world he made it, I don’t know,” said Kay Whittle, Bill’s wife. “If he could just talk — who knows what he did from the day of the avalanche until today?”

Sidney resident Jody Ray Verhasselt, 46, also died Saturday in an avalanche in the Cooke City area. Verhasselt was snowmobiling on a northeast-facing slope in Fisher Creek north of Cooke.

Kay Whittle said the two New Year’s Eve avalanche deaths took a toll on the small mountain community. Many residents respond in emergencies such as avalanches.

“It’s been real rough,” she said.

“We needed this,” Bill Whittle said of Oly’s survival. “It kind of cheered everyone up.”



Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News