{{featured_button_text}}

JACKSON, Wyo. — A lead-poisoned bald eagle thought to have fed on a carcass or gut pile containing bullet fragments is back in the wild.

The adult male eagle, which was found unable to move near Dubois on Feb. 28, took flight in front of about 100 people at the Teton Raptor Center in Wilson on Thursday.

Amy McCarthy, the center's executive director, says it was the third lead-poisoned eagle the organization has dealt with this year. The first two died.

Lead ammunition is illegal in Grand Teton National Park and on the National Elk Refuge, but it is not regulated in the Bridger-Teton National Forest or on private land. Eagles are more prone to lead poisoning than other raptors because they tend to scavenge.

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.
0
0
0
0
0