BAGRAM, Afghanistan (AP) - The U.S.-led coalition has received more "credible threats" of violence against its members and journalists in Afghanistan, a military spokesman said Friday, including pamphlets found in the east offering a reward for the capture or killing of members of the allied force.
Attacks could include rockets, mortars and car bombs, Maj. Bryan Hilferty said at Bagram air base, in central Afghanistan.
He provided few details, but said the leaflets were found last week in Paktia, the eastern province where much of the fighting has taken place. It wasn't immediately clear how much money the pamphlets offered.
Despite the recent success of Operation Anaconda against al-Qaida and Taliban fighters in the Shah-e-Kot mountains, U.S. officials have said the war in Afghanistan is far from over.
The latest reported attack on coalition forces came Wednesday, when a group of U.S. special forces and Afghan military troops said five rockets landed several miles from where they were in the Shah-e-Kot Valley.
Hilferty said the allied soldiers believed the attack was aimed at them, though they were continuing to analyze the rocket craters for more information.
He said the rockets didn't appear to be well-aimed.
"It seemed to be more in the line of Iraqi Scud attacks in Desert Storm. You just launch it and hope it kills someone," he said.
Coalition members have said they have cleared the Shah-e-Kot area, but Hilferty said: "If you get an attack from several kilometers away, that's not the same thing."
The Bagram base, to the north, is also "very well cleared," but coalition forces could "very well get rocketed here" too, he added.
Hilferty said a group of less than 100 U.S. special forces and hundreds of allied Afghan troops are still doing surveillance and reconnaissance in the Shah-e-Kot region.
At present, he said the allies are focusing their main efforts on eastern Afghanistan, on the Gardez and Khost areas.
Also Friday, a Norwegian mine clearer was badly injured when an anti-personnel device exploded as he was trying to clear an area just south of the airfield at Bagram, U.S. and Norwegian officials said.
Torbjoern Saeterboe, 30, was working with a team of four to five people when the accident happened, the Norwegian Southern Defense Command said. His crew brought him to the U.S. Army field hospital at the base, and he was flown to Germany for treatment.
U.S. Army spokeswoman Maj. Leanne Smuller said he was in stable condition, but had "fairly serious injuries," including shrapnel wounds to the face.
Meanwhile, in the northern city of Mazar-e-Sharif, Hilferty said the U.S. military has signed a contract with local Afghans to provide a backup generator for the airfield there.
The contractors will provide the generator, fuel and maintenance for two years so the airfield can be used for humanitarian assistance.
Parts of the huge airstrip were hit by American bombs in the fall campaign to overthrow the Taliban and their Islamic extremist government.
Copyright 2002 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.