Piles of snow that covered Yellowstone County for months finally melted, making way for spring green, but also revealing unsightly accumulations of litter. It's time for everyone to help clean up.
Bright n’ Beautiful has organized the annual Keep America Beautiful Great American Cleanup for Saturday morning in Billings, Shepherd and Huntley. Laurel and Worden cleanups are set for May 4.
“The Great American Cleanup is a great community event for a great community,” says Joanie Tooley, executive director of Bright n’ Beautiful in Billings. “Businesses, church groups, service clubs, and families get outside in the fresh air and pitch in together to make our part of Montana even brighter and more beautiful. After a long hard winter, it’s a feel-good experience for all of us.”
Here is the cleanup schedule in Yellowstone County:
- Saturday, Billings Community Center, 360 N. 23rd St., doors open at 8:30 a.m. Volunteers check-in to pick up supplies (safety vests, latex gloves, pickers, free litter bags, bottled water). They disperse to clean up their neighborhoods, workplaces, parks, school grounds, Billings landmarks, stretches of road and city alleys from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., then return to deposit filled trash bags in large city trash bins in the parking lot across the street. Volunteers are invited into the Community Center to return gear and enjoy a free brown bag lunch. Pre-registration is recommended so there are enough supplies. Preregister at email@example.com or by phoning 406-248-6617.
- Saturday, Shepherd Community Center starting at 8 a.m. A free community chili lunch will be served after the cleanup. Call 406-947-5750.
- Saturday, Huntley highway cleanup volunteers meet at 9 a.m. at Barkemeyer Park. After the cleanup, there will be a free community cookout and music celebration. Call 406-698-7685.
- May 4, Laurel Community Cleanup 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Meet at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church, 707 W. 3rd St. Volunteers are invited to a free lunch. Call 406-628-8037.
- May 4, Worden Cleanup. Meet downtown at 8 a.m. and head out to clean up around town, then enjoy a free lunch with your neighbors. Call 406-647-5575 to volunteer.
The cleanups are the biggest events for Bright n’ Beautiful, but this local nonprofit organization encourages community service all year long through programs such as Adopt-a-Spot, Christmas Tree Recycling, and beautification and recycling projects. Bright N' Beautiful partners with organizations throughout the county to end littering, promote recycling and beautify our communities.