Crotalis viridis viridis
• Can be more than 48 inches in length.
• Greenish gray to olive green, greenish brown, light brown, or yellowish with dark brown splotches down its back that are bordered in white.
Habitat & Behavior
You have free articles remaining.
• Only dangerously venomous snake in the park.
• Lives in the lower Yellowstone River areas of the park, including Reese Creek, Stephens Creek, and Rattlesnake Butte, where the habitat is drier and warmer than elsewhere in the park.
• Usually defensive rather than aggressive.
• Only two snake bites are known during the history of the park.