Each Wednesday from now until the end of the season, I'll reveal rankings in Class AA girls basketball based on the Team+ stat discussed last week. If you're not familiar with how the Team+ stat works, you can reveal the full math behind it here (scroll to the bottom of that link). Long story short though....
- For OFF+ (which measure offense) and DEF+ (which measure defense), 100 is dead-average. Greater than 100, the team is better than average in that particular area. Less than 100, and the team is below average.
- For Team+, 200 is your average. Team+ combines OFF+ and DEF+ into one comprehensive number. Greater than 200, the team is better than the average AA team in Montana. Less than 200, and that team is below the average.
Below, each team is ranked first by the Team+ stat. In parentheses are two numbers: the first is how this team moved up or down in the rankings, and the second is how their Team+ stat changed from last week.
Team+ 1) Big Sky 258.55 (no change, -.14) 2) Capital 235.25 (up 1, +6.89) 3) CMR 232.38 (down 1, +3.37) 4) Butte 225.65 (up 1, +3.26) 5) West 219.40 (down 1, -8.53) 6) Sentinel 210.25 (no change, -.15) 7) Bozeman 204.17 (up 1, +7.64) 8 )Senior 196.42 (down 1, -9.39) 9) Helena 188.13 (no change, -4.39) 10) Glacier 178.82 (no change, -.06) 11) Great Falls 178.44 (no change, -.09) 12) Skyview 163.50 (no change, +.38) 13) Flathead 161.65 (no change, -.08) 14) Hellgate 149.67 (no change, -.55)
Some observations from this week's rankings, after the jump.
- Biggest rise: Bozeman, which is fitting. The Lady Hawks are coming off a big win over Great Falls CMR. What's more they held the top offense in the state (as you'll see in the OFF+ rankings below to just 46 points, 10 below their average.
- Biggest fall: Billings Senior. The Broncs can look to scoring only 36 against Butte and 35 against West as reasons for the drop, as well as surrendering 53 to Butte.
- Not a great week for Billings in general. Along with Senior's drop, West's Team+ score fell substantially as well. The Bears have been above-average on both ends of the court, but it was really their OFF+ that was carrying their high Team+ score. So when Butte holds you to 10 points below your season average, you can expect to drop in these rankings.
- More shuffling at the top than the bottom. Only two teams in the top half of the standings remained in the same spot from last week, and one was Missoula Big Sky at no. 1. However, slots 9-14 stayed the same. I'm not sure why this happened, but it will be interesting to see if this holds in coming weeks. A possible explanation: The weaker teams are consistent. They hit their scoring and defense averages each game from the beginning of the season, and don't improve or regress from that as the season progresses. In other words, they are what they are from the start, while the strong teams improve and jockey for positioning as the season wears on. What's your take?
OFF+ Rankings 1) CMR 119.02 2) Big Sky 118.52 3) Butte 112.63 4) West 112.11 5) Capital 109.22 6) Helena 101.12 7) Bozeman 99.24 8 )Sentinel 93.32 9) Senior 90.62 10) Glacier 84.54 11) Skyview 82.22 12) Great Falls 82.15 13) Flathead 75.09 14) Hellgate 71.94
DEF+ 1) Big Sky 140.03 2) Capital 126.03 3) Sentinel 116.94 4) CMR 113.36 5) Butte 113.02 6) West 107.29 7) Senior 105.80 8 )Bozeman 104.93 9) Great Falls 96.29 10) Glacier 94.28 11) Helena 87.02 12) Flathead 86.56 13) Skyview 81.29 14) Hellgate 77.73